MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT (Woody Allen, 2014) – ★★★☆☆
My notes on Magic in the Moonlight:
1. The French Riviera looked gorgeous. I loved the color palette of the movie. Every scene was picture-postcard perfect.
2. The font reminded so much of American Horror Story. Sadly, Jessica Lange didn’t show up.
3. Colin Firth played a snarkier version of Mr. Darcy. How could he make these British snobs still look lovable?
4. With all these generic predictions on what’s in store for 2015, this film about a possibly fraudulent clairvoyant just seemed so timely. Babagyo, lilindol, may artistang mamamatay, may artistang mabubuntis. Really? It’s like they have ESPN or something.
5. Emma Stone in 1920’s flapper dresses looked too cute. She had one scene where she was cross-eyed that really cracked me up. Naming my car after her was one of my best decisions in life ever.
6. “How can you eat so much? We just had lunch.” Story of my life right there.
7. Stanley (Firth) said that “one of the cardinal rules of magic is the magician must never repeat his trick because sooner or later one begins to notice the move and he’s caught”. It spoke so much about these Woody Allen comedies. As long as I was temporarily enchanted though, I wouldn’t be complaining.
8. Stone and Firth were great in this film but they were just not bagay. How could I root for their love story?
(Originally published January 3, 2018.)