My notes on Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones:
1. I really liked the change of setting. After four movies, it was refreshing to see cameras outside the confines of a home. Seriously, how many times could they milk the same haunted house story anyway? (Oh, there’s a Part 5.)
2. Paranormal Activity (and to a lesser degree, all of its sequels) worked because our minds created the horror. We simply kept waiting for things to go bump in the night. This movie didn’t rely on that gimmick. There was action that actually went on in this one.
3. Was it scary? Not really. I found it really entertaining, though.
4. It might have been a stretch, but I liked how they tried to tie it up with all the previous films.
5. I therefore conclude that all Paranormal Activity endings would elicit a “That was it?” reaction.
6. Didn’t guarantee a strong recommendation, but it was fine for what it was worth. Watch at your own risk.
(Originally published February 3, 2014.)