My notes on Home:
1. The crowd scenes reminded me so much of Despicable Me’s Minions. The movie had these weird-looking creatures that actually looked and talked cute and funny. I guess originality was the film’s weakest aspect from its generic story, recycled jokes and corny sight gags. Sure some bits were funny, but corny still.
2. One of my biggest pet peeves on email etiquette is the improper use of Reply to All. I just don’t get why people would simply click on this button and notify everyone when it was meant for one recipient. The running joke on Send vs Send All made me laugh out loud.
3. I wonder why they chose Rihanna to voice the teenage girl Tip. Sure the character’s supposed to be from Barbados but she just sounded too old for the part. I really liked the soundtrack though so I guess it’s all’s good.
4. Speaking of, one scene had Oh grumbling “This is not music, this is just noise!” after a Rihanna song played in the background. Talk about being a good sport!!
5. I need my own shusher.
6. I wonder what color I would be if I were lying. Wouldn’t it be great though if humans changed colors depending on their emotions? That would eliminate much of the paranoia in this world. “Why do you have a lipstick mark on your collar?” “I don’t know how it got there.” (turns green) (shoes fly)
7. The animation was gorgeous but I kept wondering if they included some scenes just to show off (refer to Life of Pi scene).
8. I bet all kids will be doing the interrupting cow joke after watching this movie. I did.
9. More digs on technology that I loved: the password caps lock, the joke that everything on the internet is correct, and this one (“Why is it called a superchip?” “It’s mostly marketing.”)
10. Home means family. Ohana means family. Alien lands on earth and befriends a spunky girl? This is Lilo & Stitch!!
(Originally published April 3, 2015.)