Succeeded as a celebration of such a rich African culture (those costumes!!), but faltered a bit with a seemingly weak storyline. Most of the good scenes involved my new favorite star Letitia Wright, who I recently watched in the Black Museum episode of Black Mirror.
I was surprised with the lackluster action scenes, especially after the excellently-staged boxing matches in Coogler’s Creed (side note: watch Fruitvale Station!!). Chadwick Boseman in the lead also felt bland. Maybe he should have switched roles with the magnetic Michael B. Jordan (or even Daniel Kaluuya).
Still worth a look though, even just for that one scene with Danai Gurira viciously mocking her wig.
(Originally published February 18, 2018.)
My notes on That Awkward Moment:
1. The most awkward thing in this movie was realizing just how unfunny a movie called That Awkward Moment was. (Didn’t make any sense. So did the movie.)
2. Felt like a badly-written guy version of Sex and the City where everyone was playing Samantha.
3. Zac Efron peed horizontally on the toilet. A nude Zac Efron took a girl from behind. Zac Efron wore a prosthetic penis ala Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights.
We get it Zac Efron, you don’t want to be Troy Bolton anymore.
4. I need to watch Fruitvale Station. Michael B. Jordan seemed to be the only decent actor in this movie.
5. Zac Efron wore a prosthetic penis. Oh wait, I said that already.
6. Sharpay wouldn’t be caught dead watching this.
(Originally published February 4, 2014.)