Adam Devine, who had the charm of Jack Black and the obnoxiousness of Seann William Scott, was the only reason to watch this tired iteration of Groundhog Day.
Now where could I find that mystical photo booth to get back the 97 minutes that I just wasted?
(Originally published June 10, 2018.)
A few notes on Edge of Tomorrow:
1. Tom Cruise, when in pain, will always be funny.
2. Emily Blunt, in full Squall mode, kicks ass.
3. Doug Liman continues to bring on excellently-staged, jaw-dropping action sequences reminiscent of The Bourne Identity.
4. The film is equal parts Groundhog Day, Source Code, War of the Worlds, and Michael Bay.
5. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your popcorn.
(Originally published June 9, 2014.)
Anthology of five horror shorts kyemerut. Parang pa-bibong Shake, Rattle, Roll with its two additional stories pero hindi naman nakadagdag sa scare factor.
BRASO (Frasco Mortiz) – ★☆☆☆☆
Tungkol sa baklang braso na nag-break free sa pagiging closeta at dinakma ang yagbols ni AJ Perez (RIP).
PAA (Enrico Santos) – ★★★☆☆
Tungkol sa isang nanay (Jodi Sta. Maria in full batas ng isang api mode) na hindi marunong magpagpag kaya sinundan ng multo ng batang ninakawan niya ng sapatos.
MATA (Ato Bautista) – ★★☆☆☆
Tungkol sa isang babaeng (Maja Salvador) trapped in a Groundhog Day nightmare kung saan jowa niya lagi si Rayver Cruz. Saklap.
MUKHA (Nick Olanka) – ★★☆☆☆
Tungkol sa bitch from hell na boss (Mariel Rodriguez channeling Kimmy Go Dong Hae) na ginamit ang mukha ng kawawang office janitor to test their new photocopying machine. Naghiganti tuloy ang kaluluwa nito na galit sa mga DDS tulad ng asawa ni boss na si Robin Padilla.
PUSO (Cathy Garcia-Molina) – ★★☆☆☆
Tungkol sa isang chakang perya performer (Pokwang) na desperadong magka-lovelife at sa kasamaang-palad ay zombie ang nagayuma. Hindi na rin masama kasi mas mukha pang mabango ang naaagnas na si Zanjoe Marudo kesa sa mga People You May Know ng Facebook.
Saan banda ako dapat matakot?
My notes on Haunter:
1. Imagine waking up every morning doing the exact same routine every single day. Except that you’re in limbo. Hey, sounds like my life.
2. Interesting concept of Groundhog Day meets The Others, but couldn’t sustain the scares until the end.
3. I couldn’t believe how much Abigail Breslin had grown. She would always be that perky kid that did a strip dance as her beauty pageant talent in the adorable Little Miss Sunshine.
4. I really liked the fact that you’re getting scared along with the ghost that was getting scared of ghosts. (Still there?)
5. As with all smart concepts, this one just had too many things going on and couldn’t address all loopholes.
6. Not a bad way to spend a lazy afternoon. Don’t raise your expectations, though.
(Originally published February 9, 2014.)