Yes, the jokes bordered on infantile and corny. Yes, it was full of gratuitous profanity, sex, and violence. Yes, it was a remake of the Johnny Depp series that most of us probably didn’t remember. And yes, it was just laugh-out-loud funny.
Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill was such a great match that their perfect blend of slapstick comedy and broad humor made this one of the best and most enjoyable popcorn movies of the year.
I demand a sequel already.
(Originally published May 19, 2012.)
(Originally published May 10, 2017.)
Although I enjoy a good sports movie every once in a while, I feel that these feel-good underdog flicks follow the same formula up to its heartwarming finale.
This film had the exact same elements and yet still ended up throwing a curveball. With Brad Pitt giving the performance of his life (and an amazing supporting turn from the usually comic Jonah Hill), this one was definitely a homerun.
(Originally published January 5, 2012.)
Clever, self-aware and hilarious with a potent bromantic combination.
(Originally published June 25, 2014.)
Two-time Academy Award nominee Jonah Hill doing his best Scarface impression with an added hyena laugh. Good times!
(Originally published August 30, 2016.)
My notes on The Wolf of Wall Street:
1. I’m surprised McConaughey’s not getting any Oscar buzz for this movie. That 7-min restaurant aria was just brilliant.
2. I had a smile plastered on my face the entire time.
3. Sex, drugs, profanity. I’m just waiting for the violence to experience a full-blown Scorsese film.
4. DiCaprio’s basically playing a version of himself. No wonder he’s so great here. Probably his best performance to date.
5. I bet a lot of guys will envy that lighted red candle. LOL!
6. That cerebral palsy phase scene has to be one of the funniest I’ve seen all year. Who knew Leo can do great slapstick? Give him an Oscar.
7. Jonah Hill is slowly becoming one of my favorite actors. He does really great work in these intelligent movies.
8. I’m going out and buying the soundtrack.
(Originally published January 16, 2014.)