My notes on Grudge Match:
1. The movie opened with a Manny Pacquiao fight. I actually thought it was a Public Service Announcement to pay taxes.
2. Oooh, so this is a comedy about two old boxers starring actors that played Rocky Balboa and Jake LaMotta. It should be fun.
3. After the success of Meet the Parents, Robert de Niro seemed to have found his niche in these corny lightweight comedies.
4. I laughed so hard during that Rocky reference with Stallone about to punch a hanging piece of meat. I guess I was the only old person here.
5. It’s Jon Bernthal Week! He was good in The Wolf of Wall Street, too.
6. Another proof of the Oscar Best Supporting Actress Curse: Kim Basinger.
7. Holyfield and Tyson in the end credits! I wonder if the movie were funnier if it starred them instead.
(Originally published January 20, 2014.)