My notes on Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb:
1. Let me get this one out of the way: I watched it in a theater full of kids and they actually enjoyed it. I guess I was too old for monkey pee jokes.
2. The glorious cast included Ben Stiller, the late Robin Williams, Ben Kingsley, Owen Wilson, Rebel Wilson, Steve Coogan, and Ricky Gervais, among others and yet they didn’t bring much to the movie. Each one of them could be in a one-man comedy show and bring the house down but here as a group, they were just good for a very few chuckles.
3. The said chuckles came from a reference to a Counting Crows singer and a throwaway punchline about wax and polyurethane.
4. As I said earlier, this was a family film so if your idea of fun was a Neanderthal using a defibrillator on himself, then go ahead and enjoy.
5. Rebel Wilson was Rebel Wilson was Rebel Wilson.
6. Why were the jokes too repetitive? How many more times did they have to milk the Huge Ackman joke?
7. Robin Williams’ final scenes in the movie did make me tear up a bit. He bid farewell and asked Ben (and the audience) to smile. This would be perfect for the Oscars’ In Memoriam segment. We will miss you, Mister.
(Originally published January 13, 2015.)