One hundred ten bloated minutes and I only laughed thrice: when the Cone of Silence failed to work, when Carell accidentally swallowed a poisoned blow dart, and when he pretended to be mute. Even the worst Naked Gun installment was way funnier.
(Originally published March 20, 2018.)
Really cute and charming (especially for a Sandler movie), but after fifty viewings I’m still wondering how Lucy was able to go through that pregnancy without her body going into literal shock every day for nine months. Laki ng problema ko, no?
(Originally published March 7, 2019.)
My notes on Grudge Match:
1. The movie opened with a Manny Pacquiao fight. I actually thought it was a Public Service Announcement to pay taxes.
2. Oooh, so this is a comedy about two old boxers starring actors that played Rocky Balboa and Jake LaMotta. It should be fun.
3. After the success of Meet the Parents, Robert de Niro seemed to have found his niche in these corny lightweight comedies.
4. I laughed so hard during that Rocky reference with Stallone about to punch a hanging piece of meat. I guess I was the only old person here.
5. It’s Jon Bernthal Week! He was good in The Wolf of Wall Street, too.
6. Another proof of the Oscar Best Supporting Actress Curse: Kim Basinger.
7. Holyfield and Tyson in the end credits! I wonder if the movie were funnier if it starred them instead.
(Originally published January 20, 2014.)