My notes on The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water:
1. I always get a kick seeing Antonio Banderas in these crazy kiddie movies. He’s actually a great actor and the fact that he doesn’t seem out of place acting opposite a talking sponge just makes him even greater.
2. That bit about the library card brought back so many memories of all the time I spent borrowing books and making sure I do not pay the twenty-five cent penalty for late returns.
3. Has the secret formula of the Krabby Patty ever been revealed in the show? I started craving for In-N-Out Double Double burger. Can someone bring that franchise here please?
4. Why do I get the feeling that this cartoon was made for stoned adults? All the psychedelic time travel scenes made me want to pass a joint. (Kids, say no to drugs.)
5. I laughed really hard at the anemone-enemy wordplay although that joke just whooshed past the kids’ heads. Now if only they had more of those and less of The Avengers bit.
(Originally published April 6, 2015.)